Welcome

How can you accelerate the speed, accuracy, and quality of learning songs for performance situations?

On this blog I share my 'learning adventures' as I continue to improve my performance as a singer.

I share web resources I find helpful, and reflect on my experience using various technologies and ideas.

Monday, December 29, 2008

The Mynstrel announces his blog


It's summer new year recreation time here in Auckland, New Zealand. I spent the morning on 'trainer wheels' learning to sing Samuel BARBER's 'Sure on this shining night'. It's a beautiful melody, based on a poem by James AGEE.

This afternoon, I completed research to determine which blog tool to use. I have been using iWeb (part of Apple iLife) for several blogs. However, I wanted a blog to which I could send clippings directly from Clipmarks. That left me with the choice of WordPress and Blogger. I chose Blogger as simple to use, and accessible from any computer.

I mentioned 'trainer wheels'. Since I began the current project two days ago I have learned the words of the poem by memory. I have researched the context for the poem. I have an accompaniment track. And I have the full music scanned into Smartscore. So I can rehearse in a lower key than my final perfoprmance key. Now my challenge is to match up all the elemnets: the words, the rhythm, and pitch. Later will come interpretation. Tomorrow I'll post a recording of my progress so far.

In future blog entries, I'll discuss the technologies I use as a singer to learn and perform my songs. I'll also present progress on my career as a singer such as my recent participation in the NZ Aria Competition. The photo shows my first professional engagement as a choral singer in Llandaff Cathedral Parish Choir, under Harry JOYCE, around 1962 - 1966.


No comments:

Post a Comment