A first slightly public performance of this song to the Auckland Lieder Group.
On this blog I share my 'learning adventures' as I continue to improve my performance as a singer.
I share web resources I find helpful, and reflect on my experience using various technologies and ideas.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Performed by Peter MELLALIEU with Diane HARVEY (Piano). Auckland Lieder Group, 1 March 2009.
My first slightly public performance of this music.
Rather better line and tone than my early January first recording?
Not the best video quality. I apologise. It was recorded onto the memory stick. Having the piano light does not help.
Composer: Samuel BARBER. Text: James AGEE.
Monday, March 2, 2009
My accompanist Diane Harvey presented her usual extraordinary feat of both singing and accompanying herself with some rare songs: Gordon McBeth's "All on a summer's day" and Clara Edwards' "By the bend of a river". Diane is an extraordinarily accomplished pianist, and teaches piano and singing in schools, and on a private basis, based from her home in Glen Eden, Waitakere, phone 09 813 6929
The Lieder Group programmes are an excellent opportunity to present 'works in progress' before a constructive and appreciative audience. The group emerged from a series of Lieder masterclassess at Auckland University many years ago. Each programme incorporates a theme. Themes coming up in future months include:
- Occupations (29 March 2009) - I might present myself as Professor Henry Higgins singing "Why can't the English learn to speak". Not quite lieder, but it's a song I'm commited to perform at a future competition!
- Vaughan Williams (26 April 2009) - I need to polish up "In Dreams" and begin learning "The roadside fire". These are my competition entries in the North Shore Performing Arts Competition www.northshorepacs.org.nz
- In a Persian garden (26 July)
- ... and so forth, on a monthly basis through November.
I'll upload a video later.
Further information about the Auckland Lieder Group
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- President: Bryony Jagger: 09 630 7183 (and organiser for 'In a Persian Garden' theme, 26 July)
- Secretary: Claire Geddes: 09 817 6668 (and organiser for Brahms theme, 27 September
- Treasurer: Hilary Nobes 09 846 3433 (and organiser for 'Occupations' theme, 29 March.