Welcome

How can you accelerate the speed, accuracy, and quality of learning songs for performance situations?

On this blog I share my 'learning adventures' as I continue to improve my performance as a singer.

I share web resources I find helpful, and reflect on my experience using various technologies and ideas.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Your electronic accompanist - Classical Archives website

Classical Archives have just improved the usability of theri valuable website for singers and other musicians.

Classical Archives is one of my favourite and most useful sources of recordings after iTunes. However, Classical Archives is more valuable to me because of the huge availability of MIDI files. MIDI files are very helpful for learning melody, and practicing with an accompaniment.

I am about to learn for the North Shore Singing Competitions Verdi's Aria: Di Provenza il Mar from La Traviata. Entering the composer and song title in the Classical Archives SEARCH box, I quickly find both a recording, and MIDI file for the accompaniment. I previewed the recording which I then purchased ($0.88).

More importantly, I downloaded the MIDI file - for FREE. I can use the MIDI file in iTunes, Quicktime, Garageband or Smartscore. If I want to slow, or transpose down the accompaniment whilst I learn the song, I do this easily in Smartscore or Garageband.

La Traviata (opera)

Giuseppe Verdi
Composer

Giuseppe Verdi


What is MIDI?
MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) files are played through a synthesizer
(usually on your audio card.) They can also be converted into sheet music.


FREE
Download MIDI
13.Di Provenza il mar
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment